Here in Wilmington, North Carolina, we like to say that plantation shutters are the best kind of shutter, no matter what the situation. It’s the classic Southern window treatment, and it looks good no matter what. Today, we’re going to prove that to you. Not only do plantation shutters look great on standard windows — they’re also the ideal treatment for all our most difficult windows.
Plantation Shutters for French Doors and Back Doors
Here is the question facing all homeowners with French doors: How do you cover a set of French doors without sacrificing the things that make the door lovely in the first place? A lot of the same factors that go into finding window treatments for French doors also apply to windowed back doors. If you put a shade on the window, it’s no better than a windowless door. If you don’t put anything, your doors let in cold and heat with no insulation, and you have no privacy.
Plantation shutters address the most important features for a back or French door window treatment. For example:
- First, they need to be durable. Doors are made to be opened; if you just stick aluminum blinds on there, those blinds will show signs of wear almost immediately.
- Second, they need to be stable. Your blinds must adhere to the bottom of the window, or else they’ll be constantly swinging against the glass.
- Lastly, they need to allow you to adjust for light and privacy. Plantation shutters are equipped with louvers that do this perfectly. When you want to see out or let light in, you tilt the louvers open. When you want privacy, all you have to do is close them.
Plantation Shutters for Odd-Shaped Windows
What do we mean by odd-shaped windows? Specifically, we’re talking about windows that don’t fit into the standard size and shape of most window treatment manufacturers. Circular windows, arched windows, half-moon windows, eyebrow windows, and double windows are the kinds of “difficult” windows we hear from clients about most frequently. Looking at that list of windows, it doesn’t seem like they have much in common. But they do have one thing: they’re all prime candidates for plantation shutters. How so?
- Plantation shutters are the ideal choice for unusual windows because they can be custom-made for any size and shape of window
- Plantation shutters are made from durable wood, which can make what was once an awkward, stand-out window look like it belongs with the rest of your décor.
- Plantation shutters are a perfect fit for double windows. You can get them hinged to open like French doors. They give you the option of having your full view, a partial view, or full privacy—better than any other window treatment option. (Plus, who among us has never wanted to throw open a set of plantation shutters on a breezy spring morning?)
Ready to finally upgrade your door windows and eyebrow windows to a shutter that will not just manage to cover them, but will really look like it belongs there? Visit our showroom today to speak with an expert about designing plantation shutters for all your problem windows.