Window Shades 101: The Skinny on Shades and Shadings
Scroll through window shades Wilmington NC and shadings options, and the first thing you might notice is that there are just so many! Not to worry – the expert window treatment professionals at Strickland’s have you covered. To get you started, here’s the skinny on shades:
Cellular and Pleated Shades
Of all shades, cellular and pleated shades offer the most variety. They are made of woven and non-woven fabrics which can be raised and lowered. Cellular shades are also known as honeycomb shades because honeycomb-shaped cells create air pockets for insulation. Cellular and pleated shades make for a great window treatment option because they’re:
- Highly energy-efficient
- Stack tightly when raised for a full view
- Available in multiple colors, textures, and fabric types, including light filtering and blackout shades
- Available with a variety of operating systems: continuous cord loop, motorized lift, cordless, and Hunter Douglas’ retractable cord, UltraGlide®.
Want to learn more about cellular and pleated shades? Check out this article.
Roller shades are just what they sound like: simple and elegant shades which unroll for greater light control and privacy. Thanks to their simplicity in design, the options for roller shades are nearly endless. We love our roller shades because they’re:
- Available in fabrics, wallpaper, and vinyl cloths to match any room’s aesthetic
- Available in a full range of light control options, from sheers to blackouts
- Available with smooth lift and motorized operating systems which make controlling the scroll of shade much easier
Looking to adorn your office, fitness center, or restaurant? Roller shades make for a great commercial window treatment.
Cellular and pleated shades aren’t the only energy-efficient option out there. Meet solar shades. Solar shades are the ideal shades for controlling the light and heat that enters a room (and energy bills). High-tech roller shades made with a solar screen fabric control solar energy in order to absorb just enough light. We’re fans because they’re:
- Great for solar energy control with dark, light, and high-performance reflective fabrics
- Available in multiple colors, patterns, and weaves
- Easy to clean
- Can be used on outdoor porches and sun rooms as well
Want to learn more? Check out our 7 interesting facts about solar shades.
Roman shades are a versatile window treatment with the functionality of shades and beauty and design of draperies and valances. We’re fans because they’re:
- Available in multiple fabric choices, from clean linen and cotton to soft faux silk
- Available in multiple color, pattern, and design options, for soft or more tailored-looking shades as you pull them up or down
- Available in multiple light control options from soft light to full blackout
- Available in cordless and motorized options for easy use
Feeling the fabrics? Check out some of our favorite fabric window treatments here.
Hunter Douglas Vignette® Modern Roman Shades
Hunter Douglas Vignette® Modern Roman Shades are the ultra-modernized version of the classic Roman Shades. They are:
- Available in hundreds of colors, patterns, and textures
- Child and pet-friendly with modern cordless and motorized operating systems
- Available with room-darkening and insulating options
Learn more about Hunter Douglas’ state-of-the-art Vignette® Modern Roman Shades here.
Natural Wood Shades
Natural wood shades (AKA ‘wood shades’ or ‘woven woods’) deepen the beauty of rooms with their natural warmth. They are a type of Roman shade which allows for woven wood materials to drape in soft folds. Here are a few reasons why we love them. They’re:
- Environmentally friendly (biodegradable and recyclable!)
- Available in multiple materials, including light and dark woods
- Available in multiple styles from pleated and unpleated to light-filtering and room-darkening
- Available with traditional operating systems or cordless options
Looking to go for a more tropical look with your Topsail Island or Wrightsville Beach getaway? Consider our gorgeous bamboo shades.
Skylights are lovely when you want natural light to grace a room, but what about when you need some shade on hot summer days? Skylight shades are a great option. They:
- Provide light control and insulation to help reduce your energy bill
- Come in cellular shades or solar shades options
- Can be motorized and cordless for easy use – even when they’re out of reach
Looking to cover up your skylights? Check out some of our tips here.
Finding Your Shades
Now that you have the skinny on shades, you’re ready for the fun part: a visit to Strickland’s Blinds, Shades & Shutters showroom. Come see us to take a look at our shades and shadings in person, and to ask any questions you may have about our window treatments. If you’d like to schedule an appointment or free onsite consultation, please contact us today.